I have a super simple tasty recipe to share today using my favorite flour: spelt!
When I saw a recipe for homemade whole wheat tortillas on The Lean Green Bean recently I was shocked at not only how few ingredients there were but how few steps were involved.
Could making your own homemade tortillas/flatbread really be that easy?!
It turns out the answer is yes!
Homemade Spelt Flatbread
Wheat is something I currently avoid so in order to make Lindsay’s recipe FODMAP friendly I subbed in spelt flour.
You may remember from my bread machine adventures, spelt is a distant cousin of wheat that is more easily tolerated by those of us with GI issues.
- 2 c organic spelt flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- ⅔ c warm water
- Mix together flour, oil and salt.
- Continue mixing, adding water in small amounts until dough is formed.
- Remove from bowl, place on counter and knead for ~2 minutes.
- Return to bowl and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal balls (a pizza cutter worked great for this!)
- Using a rolling pin, flatten dough into circles (ideally pretty thin).
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and grease lightly.
- Place rolled tortilla into pan and cook until bubbles form- ~1-2minute.
- Flip over and cook another minute, pressing down with a spatula if needed. Repeat with remaining dough.
I’m never going back to store bought again! So easy.
Mine came out a bit thicker than I imagined so I decided to call these flatbreads instead of tortillas. Whatever you want to call them though, they’re delicious.
I want to know…
If you were making a sandwich using these flatbreads, what would you put on it??