Last year I participated in The Lean Green Bean’s “Foodie Pen Pals” Program. If you love food and getting things in the mail, this should be right up your alley.
The Foodie Pen Pal Program
By participating you are paired with a person (who may be anywhere in the country) and must put together a package of fun foodie treats to send to them. The box can include local goods, homemade treats, or your favorite products with everything costing no more than $15. At the same time someone, somewhere is doing the sending one to you!
I had a lot of fun doing it last summer:
So I decided to join in the fun this summer as well!
This month I was sent a box from Michaela, who writes a blog called Serif and Spice: a graphic designer’s life of cooking and eating gluten free.
There were lots of tasty treasures under those packing peanuts….
HERB DE PROVENCE
I’ve heard of this before but honestly didn’t know what it was. With that combination of spices though, I know I’ll love it.
Oh my gosh were these amazing.
BROWN RICE PASTA
They don’t have these fun flavors at Trader Joe’s. The pecan pie was my favorite.
FARMERS MARKET BLUEBERRY PEACH JAM
So fresh! I used it on top of my toast along with almond butter which was great. But then I got crazy and made a sweet salmon salad for dinner the other night that consisted of: butter lettuce + canned salmon + blueberry jam + fresh blueberries + crushed hazelnuts + splash of red wine vinegar. Loved every bite.
HOMEMADE CHAI-SPICED GRANOLA
This was hands down my favorite part of the package. I cannot get over how good it is! I LOVE chai and the flavors in this were downright phenomenal. I may have to create a whole separate post to share her recipe because I am THAT obsessed with it. I’ve sprinkled it on toast w/ nut butter, added to snack mixes and used it as a yogurt topping. Well done Michaela, well done.
Another month full of fun foodie treats! Thanks Michaela!
Want to Play Along?
You don’t have to be a blogger to participate in the program….everyone’s welcome! Here’s what you need to know:
- On the 5th of the month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
- You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
- The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
- You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
- Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you can choose to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
- Foodie Penpals is open to US, Canadian residents & UK residents.
I want to know…
Have you ever used herb de provence? If so, for what?
What is your favorite flavor of granola?
Got a good summer pasta salad recipe? Share in the comments below!