I love quinoa. It’s a tasty whole grain that’s also a complete protein. Win!
This time last week I incorporated quinoa into dessert by making: Sunflower Quinoa Cookies.
Lindsay over at The Lean Green Brean has posted about Quinoa Breakfast Bars for quite some time. I finally decided to give them a try, making some slight modifications along the way!
Quinoa Breakfast Bars (gluten-Free & Vegan!)
As Adapted from The Lean Green Bean
(Makes 6 large bars or 8 medium bars)
- 1/2 c almond meal
- 1 c cooked quinoa
- 1 c old fashioned oats
- 1/2 c coconut almonds, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 c raw almond butter
- 1/4 c unsweetened coconut
- 1 flax egg
- 1/3 c mashed banana (or 1 medium banana)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Combine banana, vanilla, flax egg, almond butter in a small bowl and mix well.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
3. Place mixture into a greased pan (8X8 brownie pan ideal, but this casserole dish was all I had).
4. Bake at 375 for 20 min or until golden brown.
4. Let cool and cut into 6 large bars (or 8 medium sized ones).
5. Store in the refrigerator.
Tasty and hearty. They have lots of protein (quinoa, almond butter, almonds) plus whole grains (quinoa, oats) as well as fruit (banana!). All the essential components for a meal or snack to keep you full and satisfied!
My alterations to the original recipe involved changes to make it low FODMAP/gluten free/egg free/low sugar. This included:
- Using almond meal instead of garbanzo bean flour.
- Coconut almonds in place of walnuts.
- A flax egg.
- Omitting brown rice syrup.
- Substituting mashed banana for applesauce.
I encourage you to check out Lindsay’s version if you’re looking for something a bit sweeter. My taste buds operate just fine without sugar added but I know that’s not for everyone.